Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Slowwww Down

I am sitting here subbing for my first Math class. The class is called Algebra 3-4, so these kids have taken Geometry, Algebra 1 and are now in Algebra II. This school is a very good school, lots of high achieving kids. Looking at the class I am assuming their advanced sophomores.
I ask one of the girls sitting by my desk if they are sophomores and she says "We're freshman"! What!?! "In 3-4?"
"Yeaa, we have a lot of over achievers here. We like to take calculus when we're sophomores!"
I'm like geeze..."So what do you do for the rest of high school?"
"AP Trig or Stats. There are some 8th graders in Calculus too!"

Hold the phone! This is getting ridiculous! I'm all for advanced placement and getting ahead but at some point it has to stop. I mean kids are going to be taking AP (college courses) in Junior High and upper elementary?! What is the good in that? I guess this might just be the way of the future but its seems a little crazy! From what I've seen at this high school, the problem I have with AP is that kids are so concerned with getting as many AP credits they can, the highest grades, to get into the most prestigious schools, they are bypassing some of the fundamental benefits of their education because they are inundated with AP classes. Enjoying their high school experience, socializing, and most importantly taking time to enjoy the learning process. I was that kid that wanted the grade, not gonna lie. I worked hard for my grades but I didn't mind. Being on the other end of it now, I want to see kids getting something out of it more that just the grade. Even if it is just a little curiosity for a topic or a skill that will help them become a better communicator or thoughtful person. So maybe that's what we should be emphasizing...
Deep...I know. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment