Friday, March 27, 2009

I Can Read!!


I have never been much of a reader. I barely read what was required of me in high school and college and have really never been able to sit down and read for fun. I always get bored and uninterested and find something better to do. This is no longer the case. Well, I finally started the Kite Runner about a month ago and all of my substitute teaching has given me ample time to sit and read. I really liked the Kite Runner and the day I finished I went out and bought Khaled Hosseini's second novel A Thousand Splendid Suns. I blew through it in a week. Now this may not be a big deal for some avid readers but this is unheard of in my world. I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns. I couldn't wait for a chance to open the book again and found myself thinking about it and the characters throughout my day. I really felt for the people of Afghanistan and experienced a range of emotions as I read. The hardships and constant fear they live with day to day...the realization that they are people not unlike us who value their way of life...and learning about the Muslim culture and the importance of honor, self- discipline, loyalty and family. It all elicits so much respect for these people we know so little about. I keep thinking how important it is for us as Americans to really understand them and other people from that part of the world as we continue to pass judgement and impose our beliefs and "guidance" onto them.

Needless to say, I highly recommend both books!

No comments:

Post a Comment